Monday, March 5, 2007

theology

So, I'm taking Christian Theology and we're currently discussing the doctrine of predestination. Before taking this class I did not believe in predestination, well, if only in the Evangelical Arminian sense, as in, we are predestined only to the fact that God posseses the foreknowledge of our faith, or non-faith. But the professor is bringing up reformational/Prodestant predestination which says that God elects those to be saved and those to be damned not based on foreknowlege or merit, simply by choosing (in a VERY small nutshell). This I am struggling with big time. It goes against what I have believed in, or what I have believed God to be. I would also consider myself a Universalist to a degree in that I would like to believe that all God's decrees and actions are equal to all human kind. That Jesus came to the earth and died for all. But, reformational predestination is saying that Jesus only came to die for those predestined to live eternally with God (there is a verse in 1 or 2 John to support this). That I also struggle with. Why would God create someone only to damn them to Hell? This is something I must wrestle with, in the meantime, if you feel so inclined, leave a comment and tell me what you think.

0 comments: